Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Pay it forward

We all have things that we just grow old of or just don't use.  Many times we give them away to a local second hand store, maybe sell them on eBay, or even just throw them away.  All of those things, kind of take some time.  You have to pack them up and bring them somewhere, take pictures and list, and well throwing them away is just kind of wasteful. 

I have been living in my current apartment a year now.  In the laundry room we have a folding table where residents of the building put unwanted items for others to take.  One man's junk is another man's treasure.  The concept is great, we all go to the laundry room anyways.  And even if you don't, if you have to pass buy to take out trash.  Often times there are cleaning supplies, clothing, shoes,or even an artificial Christmas tree.  Yes, sometimes these items aren't anything I'd consider taking, but I have picked a new box of shout wipes and some great brown knit leg warmers.  And on the other end I have donated a few items myself, like the disinfectant cleaner that made me sneeze and an old desk.   For those who like to keep it local, this is about as local as it gets.  So why not pay it forward?

This tradition was obviously started well before me, but there seems to be no reason why it couldn't happen at other places.  I'd recommend letting your landlord know first and maybe taking a sharpie to a box letting everyone know that it's "free".  Eventually others will get the idea and hopefully catch on.  And to top it off, it's a nice way to meet your neighbors!

No comments:

Post a Comment