Wednesday, April 25, 2012

new for the price of old

Thrift stores are the ultimate place to be frugal.  The downfall is, in this day and age it is easy for thrift stores to easily google an item and see the value of it and price it accordingly.  In my ventures however, I've found The Salvation Army is one of the few places that still gives you some of the best bang for your buck.  Granted, many times the items are a little more "used" but you can still find some great treasures.  That is why I'm making my favorite Salvation Army my first blog post.

Place: Salvation Army
Location: 6715 Dempster St. Morton Grove, IL 60053

Why I love: I've found many good deals here, my dining room chairs for $5 a piece, a great living room seat from the 70's, name brand clothes, etc.  But one of my favorite things about this store is that every Monday they get in shipments from Target.  Brand spankin' new items from the store that we all love.  You can get anything from clothing, to furniture, and numerous household items.  I've bought a brand new 5 shelf book shelf for $8.00 (retail value was $40). A floor lamp for $6.00 (retailed at $30).  Now granted, these items were in boxes less than lovely, all the materials to assemble were still intact and once put together you'd never know that the box looked like it was attacked by a pit bull. 

They also get items that are brand new from others stores.  My favorite item that I have bought to date from this specific Salvation Army are shower curtains from CB2.  Now I understand, shower curtains aren't exactly exciting.  But, shower curtains don't need to be shower curtains my friends.  I bought four brand new shower curtains for $5.65 a piece (retail of about $40 at CB2...price not exact but it's the approximate price they sell them for) and made throw pills and curtains for my living room.  They aren't quite long enough to reach the floor like I'd like, so I'm sewing some fabric to the bottom of them to get the proper length.  I also put reupholstered a chair with it and still have one shower curtain left.  So for about twenty bucks I have curtains, throw pillows and a fresh new cushion cover. 

This is the fabric on a chair I bought here as well.  I am not done with the curtains yet but I'll post a few pictures when they are complete.  I also put some left over denim fabric on one side of the pillow for some added flair.



No comments:

Post a Comment